top of page
  • Black Facebook Icon
  • Black Instagram Icon

MCL34: McLaren launches 2019 contender

  • Writer: Farhan Khurram
    Farhan Khurram
  • Feb 14, 2019
  • 4 min read

Updated: Feb 15, 2019

This was a live event. The article was updated as the event progressed.

 

McLaren launched its much awaited MCL34 on Thursday, at the MTC in Woking. The car, that is powered by a Renault engine, carries a livery that is slightly different than the colors that last year's MCL33 adorned with more inclusion of blue.

The McLaren MCL34 powered by Renault will be driven by Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris.

The McLaren MCL34 will be driven by the all new and fresh drivers' lineup, consisting of Lando Norris and Carlos Sainz.


Zak Brown, CEO McLaren commented: “The MCL34 is the result of an immense amount of hard work and dedication throughout our team.


“As ever, we move fearlessly forward”

"We’re all committed, motivated and united in our ambition to return McLaren to competitiveness, and the MCL34 is only the start of that."


“We have a fresh driver pairing, who together represent the new generation of Formula 1 talent, and are an integral part of the team and our collective effort to advance McLaren forward.


“The McLaren family is not only our people and our drivers, but also our superb partners and wonderful fans."


"We have a strong community of partners which continues to grow,"


"And an incredible fanbase, who have all remained loyal and supportive throughout our highs and lows, and I’d like to thank them as we head into the 2019 season." concluded Brown.


The MCL34 carries a papaya orange color with trails of dark blue, resulting in a sublime livery. McLaren has also announced recent partnerships with the likes of Huski Chocolate, Estrella Galicia and British American Tobacco. It is also expected that Fernando Alonso's clothing brand, Kimoa will also feature more prominently on the car this year.


Lando Norris, the F1 debutant added: "I’ve spent a lot of time with the team in the factory too, learning as much as I can to get ready for the 2019 season."


“Next stop, Barcelona! Seriously, I can’t wait to get behind the wheel in testing"

"I’ve been working hard over the winter preparing for my step up to F1."


“It’s been my dream to get to Formula 1 since I was a kid."


"I gained useful experience behind the wheel during practice sessions in 2018, and now I’m really looking forward to making my race debut with McLaren."


"The MCL34 looks great and now I just want to drive it.” he said.


McLaren signed the 2018 Formula 2 runner-up, Lando Norris after he showed brilliant racing form in the feeder series. Lando has an exceptional junior racing record that proves his credibility of racing for McLaren at such a tender age.


The Spanish driver and former Red Bull drivers' program graduate, Carlos Sainz will also be driving for McLaren this year, after his fellow countryman, Fernando Alonso left McLaren and retired from Formula 1 by the end of 2018. Sainz has previously raced for Toro Rosso and Renault; he made his F1 debut in 2015, alongside Max Verstappen.

Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris in the new McLaren racing overalls.

"I know everyone at the factory has been working very hard over the winter to prepare ourselves for this year," said Carlos Sainz. "And I think the team has done a fantastic job with the livery of the MCL34.


“I’m really looking forward to the tests and excited to finally go racing in McLaren colours"

“I’ve been especially focused on my preparations this winter."


"New training routines, new diet, very specific simulator sessions, and extra time with the engineers to develop and align certain aspects of the car to my preferences."


"The factory has become my second home since I moved back to the UK and everyone in the team is moving in the same direction."


"We know the big task ahead of us and we first need to evaluate where we are after the tests. From there onwards, I can’t wait to start racing and keep pushing forward together.” said Sainz Jr.


Former Porsche chief, Andreas Seidl was appointed as the Managing Director of McLaren last month, in an effort to form a formidable and well qualified leadership, that can steer McLaren towards success and former days of glory.


On January 31st, McLaren fired up its Renault engine in a joint event, attended by both the McLaren as well as Renault staff. The Woking based team will enter a 2nd year of engine supply partnership with the French giant, after it made a switch from Honda engines in 2017.

McLaren has a rich history as the team was founded back in 1966 by the New Zealander, Bruce McLaren. After the founder's death in a testing accident, Teddy Mayer took over the management. In the early 1980's, Ron Dennis got complete control over the ailing team, and in the aftermath, McLaren went through the most successful era in its history.


McLaren currently boasts the stats that it holds, as not only the 2nd oldest F1 team, but also the 2nd most successful team in F1 history; with 12 drivers' titles, 8 constructors' titles, 182 race wins, 155 pole positions and 391 podiums to its name.

The front view of the new McLaren MCL34.

McLaren had to go through a disappointing season last year, that was marred with unhealthy performance of the car and unreliability. The MCL33 proved to be a quite slow car with a plethora of aerodynamics related inefficiencies. Despite the fact that McLaren was 2nd last in terms of race pace, the team still managed to finish 6th in the constructors' standings.


With a fresh drivers' lineup and new staff appointments, McLaren will now work its way towards a highly improved and more competitive 2019 season.


With many of the teams, that have already launched either their liveries of their cars, only 2 other teams are left to unveil their 2019 challengers; Ferrari and Alfa Romeo.


Upcoming 2019 car launch dates:

  • February 15th | Ferrari

  • February 18th | Alfa Romeo

The official car launch can be followed on McLaren's website. Click here


 

Comments


bottom of page